for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - William McKinley: 25th U.S. President
October 05, 2009
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: William McKinley Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. William McKinley enlisted in the Civil War in 1861 as a private in the 23rd Regiment, Volunteer Infantry from what state?
2. McKinley's superior officer in the Civil War was also a future U.S. president. Who was he?
A. James Garfield
B. Grover Cleveland
C. Benjamin Harrison
D. Rutherford B. Hayes
3. What democratic candidate did William McKinley defeat in both the 1896 and 1900 U.S. presidential elections?
A. Richard P. Bland, former U.S. representative from Missouri
B. Horace Boies, former governor of Iowa
C. Joseph C. S. Blackburn, former U.S. senator from Kentucky
D. William Jennings Bryan, former U.S. representative from Nebraska
4. Under the direction of President McKinley, a treaty was signed in 1897 authorizing the annexation of what republic?
5. In 1898, a U.S. warship mysteriously exploded and sank in Havana, Cuba. McKinley assumed that it had been sabatoged. What was the name of the ship?
A. U.S.S. Vermont
B. U.S.S. Iowa
C. U.S.S. Maine
D. U.S.S. Arizona
6. The United States gained ownership of the following countries as a result of the Spanish-American War EXCEPT:
D. Puerto Rico
7. Which of the following was not a "presidential first" enjoyed by President William McKinley?
A. first president to have his voice recorded
B. first president to have the use of a telephone
C. his inauguration was the first Presidential inauguration to be filmed
D. first President to appear on film extensively
8. In 1900, President McKinley signed a bill that established gold as the only standard for redeeming paper money. What was the bill called?
A. Sherman Silver Purchase Act
B. The McKinley Gold Act
C. The Silver Exemption
D. The Gold Standard
9. President McKinley was assassinated in 1901 by Leon Czolgosz, an American anarchist of Polish descent. In what city did the assassination take place?
A. Buffalo, NY
B. Washington DC
C. Albany NY
D. Scranton, PA
10. Mount McKinley, the highest peak in North America, was named after President McKinley in 1897. In what state is the mountain located?
Conditions of Use