for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Stephen Decatur - Naval Hero
Quiz on Naval Hero and Commodore Stephen Decatur.
August 10, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Stephen Decatur Public Domain Image)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what war did Decatur, a midshipman, first serve with distinction on the US United States?
A. The Revolutionary War
B. The Quasi-War with France in the Caribbean
C. Barbary Pirate Wars
D. The War of 1812
2. What ship did Lt. Decatur command during the Barbary Wars, where he led a daring night time raid into the Tripoli Harbor?
D. United States
3. What was the purpose of Decatur's night time raid into Tripoli?
A. to burn the USS Philadelphia
B. to attack the fortress
C. to release US POWs in the fortress
D. Capture gold bullion
4. During the War of 1812, on what ship did Decatur command and distinguish himself?
A. USS United States
B. USS Constitution
C. USS Enterprise
D. USS Philadelphia
5. During the War of 1812, Decatur captured an enemy ship. What was the name and the nationality of the ship?
A. Bonhomme Richard, French
B. Macedonia, British
C. Chesapeake, Canadian
D. Mastico, Tripoli
6. What ship was Decatur in command of when he was wounded and captured?
A. USS President
B. USS United States
C. USS Enterprise
D. USS Constitution
7. In 1815, Decatur was assigned to deal with piracy; what was the end result of this tour of duty?
A. Algiers, Tunis and Tripoli were forced to sign peace treaties
B. Britan capitulated the Great Lakes to the USA
C. France surrendered New Orleans to the USA
D. Caribbean piracy was utterly destroyed
8. How did Decatur die?
A. Malaria when living in Washington, DC
B. During a sea battle against pirates
D. A duel against another naval officer
9. How many U.S. Navy ships were named after Decatur?
10. What type of U.S. Navy ships have been named for Decatur?
A. A Sloop and Patrol Boats
B. Frigates and a Sloop
C. A Sloop and Destroyers
D. An Aircraft Carrier and Frigates
Conditions of Use