for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Herman Melville: American Author and Sailor
Questions about the life, works and career of U.S. author and sailor, Herman Melville.
August 15, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Where was Melville born?
A. New York City
2. Melville's paternal grandfather, Major Thomas Melvill, was an honored participant of what American Revolutionary event?
A. Signer of the Declaration of Independence
B. Sniper during Lexington and Concord
C. Boston Tea Party member
D. The siege of Yorktown.
3. What famous whaling ship met with a disaster that was the inspiration for the novel, "Moby Dick"?
B. Two Brothers
C. Mary Celeste
4. Melville deserted the whaling ship Acushnet in the Marquesas Islands in July 1842; what did he do there?
A. Set out in a small whaleboats for Hawaii
B. Died of beri beri
C. He lived among the Typee natives
D. Wrote Moby Dick
5. How did Melville feel about the Christian missionaries in the Pacific Islands?
A. He considered joining them.
B. He vehemently disagreed with them.
C. He married a missionary, and was silent on their doctrine.
D. He donated most of his earnings to support their work.
6. Who was the Massachusetts close friend and the author to whom Melville dedicated the novel, "Moby Dick"?
A. Sinclair Lewis
B. Edgar Allen Poe
C. Steven Crane
D. Nathaniel Hawthorne
7. In a notoriously corrupt institution (1866, New York City), Melville had the reputation of being the only honest employee. What was the institution?
A. Boston Transit police supervisor
B. NYC Tamany Hall politician
C. NY Police Department supervisor
D. NYC Customs inspector
8. Where is Melville buried?
A. Marquesas Islands, South Pacific
B. Bronx, NYC
C. Nantucket, MA
D. Providence, RI
9. Over the course of his life, how much money did Melville earn from his writing?
10. What Melville book was discovered and published in 1924?
A. Billy Budd, Sailor
C. The Confidence-Man
D. Isle of the Cross
Pine River Consulting 2022