for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Frederick Douglass: American Abolitionist and Author
What do you know about the great Frederick Douglass? My favorite quote by Douglass is "I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong."
September 09, 2011
American Civil War
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Frederick Douglass Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what "border state" was Frederick Douglas born and raised?
2. According to Douglass, what was the "pathway from slavery to freedom"?
3. As a sixteen-year old slave, Douglass fell into the hands of a "slave-breaker" named Edward Covey, who regularly beat Frederick. What event convinced Covey to finally stop beating Douglass?
A. he lost a physical confrontation with Douglass
B. Covey's wife convinced him to stop
C. he had a spiritual metamorphosis
D. the preacher at his church threatened to remove him from their congregation
4. Douglass' future wife, Anna Murray, helped him escape to freedom. What type of outfit did Murray provide Douglass to help him avoid detection?
A. sailor's uniform
B. preacher's vestments
C. physician's gown
D. railroad worker's clothes
5. In 1845, Douglass toured Great Britain and Ireland, lecturing against slavery. With what other abolitionist did he travel?
A. Horace Greeley
B. Gerrit Smith
C. John Brown
D. William Lloyd Garrison
6. What was the name of the first abolitionist newspaper written and published by Frederick Douglass?
A. Liberty Party Paper
B. New National Era
C. North Star
D. Frederick Douglass' Paper
7. During the Civil War, Douglass worked with a regiment of African-American soldiers. What did he do?
8. Later in life, Douglass served in several prominent positions. Which of the following was not one of them?
A. President of the Freedmen's Savings and Trust Company
B. U.S. Marshal of the District of Columbia
C. U.S. Minister Resident and Consul General, Republic of Haiti
D. Superintendent of Schools, Rochester, NY
9. Which of the following is not one of the three autobiographies written by Frederick Douglass?
A. Out of Bondage
B. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave
C. Life and Times of Frederick Douglass
D. My Bondage and My Freedom
10. Who founded the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association in Southeast Washington, D.C.?
A. his first wife, Anna Murray-Douglass
B. his second wife, Helen Pitts Douglass
C. his sons, Lewis and Charles Douglass
D. American civil rights leader Susan B. Anthony
Pine River Consulting 2022