for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Lewis "Chesty" Puller: A Marine's Marine!
Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller (June 26, 1898 â€“ October 11, 1971) was an officer in the United States Marine Corps. Puller is the most decorated U.S. Marine in history.
September 10, 2011
World War II
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Chesty Puller Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Where did Puller first see combat action as a Marine?
2. Where was Puller first decorated with the US Navy Cross (the second highest award in the US military)?
3. After the "Banana Republic Wars" of the 1920s and 30s, Puller was assigned to what legendary Marine posting?
A. Beijing, China with the China Marines
B. Washington DC, as Commandant
C. Havana, Cuba as the Commanding Officer, Embassy
D. Berlin, Germany, as a spy against Hitler
4. As a Fleet Marine serving aboard ship, what legendary sailor commanded the ship to which Puller was assigned?
A. Hymen G. Rickover
B. William Halsey
C. Chester Nimitz
D. Horatio Hornblower
5. What position did Puller have when he went to Shangai with the 4th Marines in 1940?
B. First Lieutenant
C. Intelligence Officer
D. First Platoon Leader/Morale Officer
6. On Guadalcanal as CO of the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Puller's quick action saved three of his companies from annihilation. What combat decoration did Puller receive for that action?
A. Marined Corp and Navy Acheivement Medal
B. Bronze Star
C. Silver Star
D. Navy Cross
7. Puller's marines defended Henderson Field during the Battle for Guadalcanal and suffered 70 casualties. How many casualties did the Japanese regiment suffer in the same battle?
A. about 100 killed in action
B. about 700 killed in action
C. about 1000 killed in action
D. about 1400 killed in action
8. Puller was promoted to colonel effective February 1, 1944, and by the end of the month had been named commander of what?
A. Marine Schools, Quantico, VA
B. Commanding Officer, 1st Marine Regiment
C. Commanding Officer, USS Enterprise
D. Commanding Officer, Parris Island, SC
9. Puller's younger brother Samuel was the Executive Officer (XO) of the 4th Marine Regiment. What happened to him on Guam?
A. Killed by a sniper.
B. Lost a leg to a mine.
C. Shell-shock; medical discharge.
D. Promoted to Colonel.
10. Puller's son was a Marine in Vietnam. How was he injured?
A. Land mine
C. Jeep accident
D. Napalm attack.
Pine River Consulting 2022