for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Duke of Wellington - The Iron Duke
The story of the Duke of Wellington, the hero of Waterloo and his exploits on and off the field of battle.
September 30, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Duke of Wellington Public Domain Image)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Arthur Wellesley was born in which country of the British Isles in 1769?
2. Wellesley didn't amount to much until military service in which country?
3. Wellesley married Catherine Pakenham in 1806. Which of the following is the most accurate description of their marriage?
A. They were devoted to each other.
B. The marriage was annulled in 1818.
C. It was a cold, loveless marriage.
D. Wellesley was heart-broken following Katharine's death in 1812.
4. The Duke of Wellington was quoted as saying, "Publish and be damned!" What were the circumstances surrounding this statement?
A. An attempted blackmail threat regarding an affair
B. Allegations he had mistreated his men at Waterloo
C. Claims he had cheated in an officer qualification exam
D. Claims he had used insider knowledge to buy shares in a military supplier
5. At the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, Wellington commanded a multi-national force which defeated Napoleon Bonaparte. Which of the following was not part of this army?
6. Where in Europe is Waterloo?
7. Apart from being called the Iron Duke, Wellington had many other nicknames. Which of the following was not one of them?
A. Bugger that beat the French
B. Our Atty
C. Old Hookey
D. Welly the Wizard
8. Following his wartime service, which position did Wellington hold twice?
A. Governor General of Australia
B. Ambassador to France
C. Prime Minister of Britain
D. Minister for the Army
9. Apart from his rigid manner, what also contributed to Wellington being known as the Iron Duke?
A. His reliance on the importance of artillery in his campaigns
B. His directorship of a steel mill in Sheffield
C. Erection of iron shutters on his house to protect his windows from a rioting mob.
D. His advocacy of iron ships in preference to wooden ones
10. Dying in November, 1852, Wellington was eulogized in verse by which poet?
Pine River Consulting 2022