for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli
Italian historian, philosopher, humanist, and writer during the Renaissance.
October 01, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Machiavelli’s best-known book, Il Principe, translates to which of the following in English?
A. The Principles
B. The Probiotics
C. The Prince
D. The Politician
2. What was the purpose of Machiavelli's Il Principe?
A. a cautionary tale for a democratic society.
B. a manual to acquiring and keeping political power.
C. a sarcastic rejection of royalty in his kingdom.
D. as a utopian description of a democratic republic.
3. Machiavelli is generally seen as being critical of _____________ as it existed in his time, specifically its effect upon politics, and also everyday life.
4. What was the only theoretical work printed by Machiavelli during his lifetime?
A. Comedy of Manners.
B. Don Quixote de la Mancha.
C. The Art of War.
D. Citizen Commune.
5. The adjective
became a term describing someone who aims to what?
A. to bring about revolution.
B. to deceive and manipulate others for personal advantage.
C. to escape punishment by fawning.
D. steal the work of others.
6. Machiavelli is credited with supplying Henry VIII of England with a philosophy encouraging him to do what?
A. pursue multiple marriages.
B. conquer the American Colonies.
C. construct the torture chambers in the Tower of London.
D. turn towards Protestantism.
7. Benjamin Franklin, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson followed Machiavelli's republicanism when they opposed which of the following that was happening in America?
A. Federalism and aristocracy.
B. Federal Taxes.
C. Ruthless slaughtering of Native Americans.
D. Prohibition of Alcohol (Whiskey Rebellion).
8. John Adams felt Machiavelli was . . .
A. An appalling autocrat.
B. Correct, with most of his positions
C. To quote: "An autobiography of George Washington"
D. A royalist, and should be completely ignored.
9. How did Machiavelli prefer to defend his home time when he was placed in charge of defense?
C. Technology: Catapults and Bio-war.
D. Ravenous animals: lions, elephants, rabid dogs and foxes.
10. When captured, how was Machiavelli tortured?
A. Water torture simulating drowning.
B. With rope resulting in dislocated shoulders.
C. Sleep deprivation and beatings.
D. Starvation resulting in scury, malnutrition, and mental confusion.
Conditions of Use