for extra features!
PeopleQuiz is people trivia! Pick your favorite category and play our
Ten-Question Trivia Quizzes,
Browse our site and learn more about people trivia!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Celebrity Quiz List
Trivia Quiz - Gordon Cooper: American Astronaut
Leroy Gordon Cooper, Jr. (March 6, 1927 – October 4, 2004), also known as Gordon Cooper, was an American aeronautical engineer, test pilot and NASA astronaut.
November 20, 2011
Amazing "Firsts" in History!
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Gordon Cooper Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Cooper had two Mercury firsts on the Faith 7 mission, the last of the Mercury Missions. Both involved Cooper's legendary ability to do what?
B. Hold his breath.
C. Guzzle coffee.
D. Argue with mission control.
2. Chuck Yeager refered to the Mercury Missions as "spam in a can" because of the degree of automation hall mark to the flights. How did Cooper refute this characterization?
A. Cooper flew his entire mission on manual pilot.
B. System failures required Cooper to pilot the spacecraft in manual into entry.
C. Cooper knocked out Yeager in a bar, proving might makes right.
D. Cooper kept a log of the required manual actions on his mission.
3. One of the main reasons for Cooper's second mission, Gemini 5, was to prove astronauts could what?
A. survive cosmic radiation for more than one week without permenant damage.
B. sleep in space without dying from sleep apnea.
C. eat in space, without taking space sickness medication.
D. stay in space for the time it would require to fly from Earth and the moon, and back
4. Cooper maintained that he was not selected for an Apollo flight because of his having done what?
A. seen UFOs and discussed it with newspeople.
B. divorced his first wife, and then re-married.
C. converted to Christian Scientist religion.
D. volunteered to become a Naval Aquanaut.
5. What rank did Cooper reach in the military when he retired?
A. Lt. Colonel
C. Brig. General
D. Lt General
6. What famous entertainment company did Cooper work for in the 1970s?
A. Knott's Berry Farm
B. Busch Gardens
C. Disney Company
D. Lego Land, California
7. As a Captain testing experimental fighter planes, Cooper saw pictures of something that he personally sent to Washington, DC for evaluation. What was it?
A. Pre-historic reptiles in the Nevada Desert
C. Russian Spetzan spying in secure areas
D. JFK vacationing with Marilyn Monroe in Las Vegas, Nevada
8. Who played Gordo Cooper in the classic movie, "The Right Stuff"?
A. Scott Glenn
B. Randy Quaid
C. Ed Harris
D. Dennis Quaid
9. What was Cooper's famous quote during the Mercury Program?
A. Huh? What? Oh, sure, ready to fly! [When mission control woke him on the launch pad]
B. Gordo, don't screw up!
C. No bucks, no Buck Rogers!
D. A million parts, all of them low bid.
10. Of the original 7 Mercury pilots, Cooper was:
A. the only one that was single
B. the youngest
C. independently wealthy
D. a cousin of JFK
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by