for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Nathaniel Hawthorne (born Nathaniel Hathorne; July 4, 1804 – May 19, 1864) was an American novelist and short story writer. Great trivia quiz on the personal life, writings and career of Nathaniel Hawthorne?
January 06, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Nathaniel Hawthorne Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Nathaniel Hawthorne was born in 1804 in what city?
A. Boston, Massachusetts
B. New York City, New York
C. Jamestown, Virginia
D. Salem, Massachusetts
2. One of Hawthorne's ancestors was a key player in what early American travesty?
A. Witchcraft Trials.
B. The importation of the first slaves into Virginia in 1619.
C. The murders that started King Phillip's war.
D. Chasing the Catholics out of Massachusetts Bay, and into Rhode Island.
3. Hawthorne published several short stories in various periodicals which he collected in 1837. What were they called?
A. Moby Dick and the Whale Sagas.
B. The House of the Seven Gables.
C. The Tell Tale Heart.
D. Twice-Told Tales
4. Hawthorne worked at a Custom House and joined Brook Farm, before marrying in 1842. What was Brook Farm?
A. survivalist group
B. a religious cult
C. scientific group
D. transcendentalist community
5. On the way to Bowdoin College, at the stage stop in Portland, Maine, Hawthorne met a future US President and the two became fast friends. What future US President was it?
A. Franklin Pierce
B. Martin Van Buren
C. James Polk
D. US Grant
6. When at the Brook Farm, Hawthorne was placed in charge of the "Gold Mine"; what was the "Gold Mine"?
A. The library.
B. The manure pile
C. The artist's garret.
D. The treasury.
7. What horror occurred on Hawthorne's first wedding anniversary?
A. His first child died.
B. His wife had a miscarriage.
C. A neighbor drowned, and Hawthorne found the body.
D. His barn burned, and his horses burned to death.
8. Why did Hawthorne lose his job in the Custom House?
A. He was drunk.
B. He was addicted to morphine.
C. The Spoils System - a change in political parties.
D. He died.
9. One of the first mass-produced books in America, it sold 2,500 volumes within ten days and earned Hawthorne $1,500 over 14 years. What was the book?
A. The House of the Seven Gables
B. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms
C. The Scarlet Letter
D. The Raven
10. Pallbears at Hawthorne's funeral include all of the below except:
A. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
B. Ralph Waldo Emerson
C. Louisa May Alcott
D. Joseph Conrad
Conditions of Use