for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Richard Byrd: Polar Explorer
What do you know about polar explorer Richard Byrd?
January 27, 2012
Amazing "Firsts" in History!
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Richard Byrd was a military officer, polar explorer and expedition leader. It is generally accepted that Byrd was the first person to:
A. reach the North Pole
B. fly over the North Pole
C. reach the South Pole
D. fly over the South Pole
2. Richard Byrd was an officer in what branch of the American military?
C. Air Force
3. In what state was Richard Byrd born and raised?
C. West Virginia
D. New York
4. What was the highest miiitary rank achieved by Richard Byrd?
A. Vice Admiral
B. Rear Admiral
C. Admiral Chief of Naval Operations
D. Fleet Admiral
5. Richard Byrd was an active member of the military during which of the following wars?
A. Spanish-American War
B. World War I
C. World War II
D. Both B and C
6. In 1926, Richard Byrd was awarded the Medal of Honor for accomplishing what feat?
A. first flight over the North Pole
B. first flight over the South Pole
C. first circumnavigation of Greenland
D. first to ski to across Antarctica to the South Pole
7. In 1927, Richard Byrd and his crew failed at his attempt to become the first to complete a Trans-Atlantic flight. Why did it fail?
A. the plane safely crash-landed in the Atlantic; they were rescued by the US Navy
B. Byrd got influenza and the flight never materialized
C. the plane crashed during a practice takeoff
D. the plane got an oil leak and they had to turn back
8. How many trips did Byrd make to the continent of Antarctica?
9. What is the name of the research base that Richard Byrd started in Antarctica in 1928?
A. Little America
B. McMurdo Station
C. Byrd City
D. South Pole Station
10. What is the name of Richard Byrd's autobiography?
A. My Life in North & South Extremes
B. Beyond Adventure
C. Richard Byrd: A Life of Exploration
Conditions of Use