for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster
This quiz is dedicated to the brave travelers who lost their lives on that fateful January day and their families: Michael J. Smith, Dick Scobee, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Gregory Jarvis and Judith Resnik.
January 28, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Space Shuttle Challenger Crew public domain photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Christa McAuliffe was the only civilian on board the Challenger on that fateful day in 1986. What was her regular full-time job?
A. interior decorator
B. school teacher
2. Who was the US President when the Challenger exploded on January 28, 1986?
A. President Jimmy Carter
B. President Ronald Reagan
C. President George HW Bush
D. President Bill Clinton
3. How many Shuttle crew members lost their lives aboard the Challenger?
4. How long was the Shuttle program grounded after the Challenger disaster?
A. 6 months
B. 14 months
C. 18 months
D. 32 months
5. What was the primary cause of the Challenger disaster?
A. loss of several High-Temperature Reusable Insulation tiles on the bottom of the shuttle
B. breach of the exterior access hatch
C. failure of rubber O-rings that sealed the joints of the solid rocket boosters
D. break-up of the fuselage
6. The Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident was the body appointed to investigate and report on the accident. What was another name for it?
A. Rogers Commission
B. Greene Commission
C. Reagan Commission
D. American Commission
7. After the Space Shuttle Program was reinstated, what was the next shuttle to launch?
8. What company was the contractor responsible for the construction and maintenance of the shuttle's failed solid rocket boosters?
A. Honeywell Aerospace
B. Morton Thiokol
C. Lockheed Propulsion Company
D. McDonnell Douglas
9. In 2004, President George W. Bush conferred posthumous honors to all of the Shuttle Challenger astronauts. What honor was it?
A. Presidential Medal of Freedom
B. Congressional Space Medals of Honor
C. Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal
D. Distinguished Public Service Medal
10. Where is the Space Shuttle Challenger Memorial located?
A. Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland
B. Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas
C. Cape Canaveral, Florida
D. Arlington National Cemetary
Conditions of Use