for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Captain James Cook: Voyages of Discovery
The true Master and Commander. He sailed the seas and discovered new lands under conditions that would be considered primitive and deplorable in this day and age. A true explorer.
February 01, 2013
European Age of Discovery
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: James Cook Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Among his many achievements, he discovered this Pacific island group, where he was later killed.
A. Bora Bora
2. Cook was born on November 7, 1728 in which country?
3. In 1770, Cook almost lost his ship running aground on the Great Barrier Reef after discovering the east coast of which continent?
4. In 1766, Cook was sent to Tahiti by The Royal Society. What was his mission?
A. Transport Breadfruit to the Americas
B. Discover the Northwest Passage
C. Record the transit of Venus across the Sun
D. Teach the natives English
5. In the early 1760's, Cook was responsible for charting which Canadian province?
C. Prince Edward Island
6. After searching for the Great Southern Continent along a low southern latitude, in 1773 Cook became the first person to do what?
A. Lose half his crew to frostbite
B. Land on Antarctica
C. Round both the Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope
D. Cross the Antarctic Circle
7. What was Cook's mission on his third voyage in 1776?
A. Sail to Japan to initiate trade
B. Collect sugar from Caribbean plantations
C. Discover the Northwest Passage
D. Spy on American rebels
8. Cook made an unusual accomplishment when he circumnavigated the globe on his first voyage. What was it?
A. Did not lose a single man to scurvy
B. Only needed one ship repair
C. Doled out over 200 lashes in punishment
D. Only caught a cold once
9. One of Cook's sailing masters, William Bligh, became infamous as the captain of what ship in 1787?
A. HMS Resolution
B. HMS Lexington
C. HMS Queen Victoria
D. HMS Bounty
10. George Vancouver, one of Cook's midshipmen, later led a voyage of his own to the Pacific northwest and named what would become a major city in which Canadian Province?
A. Northwest Territories
B. British Columbia
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by