for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Maximilien Robespierre - The Leader of the Reign of Terror
Maximilien Robespierre was never elected leader of revolutionary France but became the symbol of the Reign of Terror. Was he a driven idealist, a power-mad politician or a combination of both?
December 10, 2015
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Born in 1758 Maximilien Robespierre became a staunch advocate of which famed philosopher?
2. Robespierre began his rise to power when he was elected to the position of Deputy of what estate in the Estates-General in May, 1789?
A. First Estate
B. Second Estate
C. Third Estate
D. Fourth Estate
3. Because of the patrician way Robespierre lived, which writer tagged him the "sea-green incorruptible"?
A. Thomas Carlyle
B. John Stuart Mill
C. Charles Dickens
D. John Ruskin
4. Of what political faction was Robespierre a member?
A. Sans culottes
5. Upon the Committee for Public Safety gaining power during the French Revolution, Robespierre called for a republic of what?
6. Under the Committee of Public Safety and with Robespierre's endorsement what became official government policy?
A. spying on one's neighbour
C. the removal of the Catholic Church
7. What event saw the first cracks in Robespierre's public image?
A. The failing war against Austria
B. The Cult of the Supreme Being
C. The execution of Charlotte Corday
D. The need to raise the price of bread
8. What fellow revolutionary did Robespierre have executed, a factor that was used against Robespierre when the Committee turned against him?
A. Georges Danton
B. Jean-Paul Marat
C. Pauline Leon
D. Madame Defarge
9. Why was Maximilien Robespierre eventually overthrown?
A. He had made too many enemies in the Committee for Public Safety.
B. People had grown tired of the continuing executions.
C. Support from royalist Britain saw a change in public attitude to the revolution
D. All the above
10. On 28 July 1794, Robespierre was guillotined without trial with sixteen others. What family member was executed with him?
Conditions of Use