for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Louis XIV - The Sun King
A quiz on Louis XIV, the French king (1638-1715) whose intelligence and drive saw France become the dominant force in Europe.
November 30, 2013
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Born in 1638 Louis XIV as a child was tutored in many languages. Which of the following was not one of them?
2. Crowned king at the age of 5 in 1643, in what year did Louis XIV become king in his own right.
3. What claim to fame does Louis XIV have?
A. He had twenty mistresses.
B. He is the longest-reigned European monarch.
C. He gave the commoners more say in the government.
D. He was an expert marksman and archer.
4. What iconic French building did Louis XIV commission the building of?
A. Eiffel Tower
B. Arc de Triomphe
C. Palace of Versailles
D. Louvre Museum
5. After the death of his wife, Maria Theresa in 1683, which of his mistresses did Louis XIV secretly marry?
A. Louise de la Valliere
B. Athenais de Montespan
C. Francoise Scarron, Madame de Maintenon
D. Mademoiselle de Fontanges
6. What was the secret to the success of the Louis XIV's reign?
A. He attended and presided over daily meetings of his council.
B. He personally selected talented ministers.
C. He was determined not to allow factions of the nobility to influence him.
D. All the above
7. What decision by Louis XIV weakened France for the remainder of his rule?
A. His marriage to his mistress
B. His attempted naval blockade of English ports
C. Involving France in the War of the League of Augsburg
D. Involving France in the War of Spanish Succession
8. Which of the following events was not part of the reign of Louis XIV?
A. He composed a number of operas.
B. He was excommunicated by the Pope.
C. Over 100 courtiers assisted in his daily dressing ceremony.
D. He introduced street lamps to Paris.
9. What prized possession did Louis XIV own?
A. The Hope Diamond
B. The Mona Lisa
C. The Shroud of Turin
D. The Gutenberg BIble
10. Showing impeccable deathbed courage, what were Louis XIV reputed last words?
A. Doctor, I die hard but am not afraid to go.
B. My work is done.
C. Why are you weeping? Did you think I was immortal?
D. A king should die standing up.
Conditions of Use