for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Joseph Stalin - Brutal Soviet Ruler
Ten questions on the man responsible for the estimated deaths of 20 million of his citizens. His influence on his nation and the world was profound.
April 20, 2014
World War II
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: public domain photo of Joseph Stalin)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Stalin was born as Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili in December, 1879 but later changed his name to one the world came to know him. What does "Stalin" mean in Russian?
2. A young Joseph Stalin studied to become what?
3. Stalin was married twice with both wives dying young. What was the cause of their deaths?
A. childbirth and cancer
B. Both murdered on the order of Stalin
C. Spanish influenza and exportation to a Soviet gulag
D. disease and suicide
4. After becoming Soviet leader in 1924, what class of people did Stalin decide to eliminate from Soviet society during the 1930s in one of his "great purges"?
5. At the start of World War II Stalin ordered Soviet troops to attack what nearby country in an attempt to secure his nation's borders?
6. During World War II what besieged Soviet city was regarded as vital for the survival of the USSR and hence Stalin?
7. In 1948 Stalin ordered an economic blockade of what European city?
8. What post-World War II conflict was encouraged by Joseph Stalin?
A. Vietnam War
B. Korean War
C. Greek Civil War
D. Arab-Israeli War of 1948
9. Which of the following is not correct about the reign of Joseph Stalin?
A. Cities were renamed in his honor.
B. History books were rewritten to over-emphasize his revolutionary role.
C. Soviet citizens had to swear allegiance to Stalin rather than the state.
D. Stalin had his name added to the Soviet national anthem.
10. What Soviet leader denounced Stalin following his death in 1953?
A. Georgy Malenkov
B. Nikita Krushchev
C. Leonid Brezhnev
D. Konstantin Chernenko
Conditions of Use