for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Martha Washington - America's First Lady
Far from being a colorless shadow of her husband, George, Martha Washington led a varied and eventful life. Take ten questions on America's first First Lady.
July 02, 2015
Presidential First Ladies
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Martha C Washington
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Martha Washington @ Think Quest)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what state was the then Martha Dandridge born on June 2, 1731?
D. South Carolina
2. Martha married Daniel Custis in 1750. How many years older than Martha was her husband?
3. As a very wealthy widow, Martha Custis was courted by a keen George Washington following the death of her husband in 1757. What was the difference in height between Martha and George?
A. 10 inches
B. 12 inches
C. 14 inches
D. 18 inches
4. How many of her four children did Martha Washington outlive?
5. Which of the following best describes the married life of Martha and George Washington?
A. One of convenience. She married his status while he married her money.
B. A constant battle of wills.
C. One for essentially political purposes.
D. They adored each other.
6. What hobby was Martha Washington's favorite; examples of which can be seen at her Mount Vernon home?
D. harpsichord playing
7. During the Revolutionary War, what role did Martha Washington play?
A. She spent large periods assisting her husband.
B. She was kept under protective guard for fear of being kidnapped by British forces.
C. She travelled to France to enlist support for the revolutionary cause.
D. She was used to promote enlistment and to encourage the populace to contribute funds to the cause.
8. What was Martha Washington's reaction when her husband declined to run for a third term as president?
A. She was disappointed and encouraged him to reconsider.
B. She organized a trip to France to thank the French for their support during the Revolutionary War.
C. She was thrilled to return to Mount Vernon.
D. She encouraged her husband to reopen diplomatic relations with Britain.
9. As a slave owner, what was Martha Washington's attitude to slavery?
A. She never doubted the morality of owning slaves and white supremacy.
B. She regarded slave ownership as a necessary evil.
C. She intended to free her slaves upon her death.
D. She treated her slaves almost as equals.
10. How long did Martha Washington live after the death of George in 1799?
A. two and a half years
B. ten and a half years
C. twenty years
D. twenty five and a half years
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by