for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - The Moon - Our only natural satellite
The moon has inspired poets, lovers and explorers and has even been accused of affecting minds. Take ten questions on Earth's nearest neighbour.
October 22, 2017
Science & Nature
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Approximately how far is the Moon from Earth?
A. 150,000 miles or 240,000 km
B. 240,000 miles or 380,000 km
C. 600,000 miles or 965,000 km
D. 900,000 miles or 1,450,000 km
2. Which of the following is the most common substance on the Moon's surface?
A. silica alumina
B. iron oxide
C. calcium carbonate
D. potassium permagenate
3. How long does it take the Moon to orbit the Earth?
A. 27.3 days
B. 30.5 days
C. 184 days
D. 365 days
4. The Moon has many craters which have been named. Which of the following explorers has not been honored with a crater on the Moon?
A. Ferdinand Magellan
B. Marco Polo
C. Charles Lindbergh
D. Francis Drake
5. The Moon is smaller than the Earth. What mass does it have compared to the Earth?
A. one two hundredth
B. one eightieth
C. one quarter
D. one half
6. The Moon and Earth are in "synchronous rotation" which means?
A. The Moon rotates in the opposite direction to the Earth.
B. The Moon changes its rotation rate in relation to the Earth's rate.
C. The poles of both bodies are aligned.
D. The Moon rotates around the Earth at the same rate as the Earth rotates.
7. A lunar eclipse is the result of what astronomical phenomenon?
8. The Moon has large dark areas of basalt that were thought to be seas. What is the largest "sea" found on the Moon?
A. Sea of Tranquility
B. Sea of Showers
C. Sea of Cold
D. Sea of Fecundity
9. Which of the following is not true about the Moon?
A. There are no active volcanoes on the Moon.
B. The Moon has no atmosphere.
C. The word "lunatic" was used to describe a person whose mental state was thought to be affected by the Moon.
D. The Moon is bigger than Pluto
10. As of 2017 how many men have walked on the Moon?
Pine River Consulting 2022