for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - World War II - 1939
The Second World War was the most calamitous event in world history with the first four months sometimes called "The Phoney War". Take ten questions on these first four months of this conflagration that took the lives of more than 60 million people.
October 28, 2018
World War II
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In July, 1939 Japanese forces battled the army of which country, the result which had a great effect on the course of World War II?
B. British Singapore
C. Soviet Union
2. On September 1, 1939 Germany invaded what nation, thus sparking Britain and France into action?
3. Who was the Prime Minister of Great Britain at the start of the war?
A. Winston Churchill
B. Neville Chamberlain
C. Clement Atlee
D. Ramsay McDonald
4. In the first four months of the war, how did more than 2000 Londoners die?
A. air raid victims
C. suicide caused by fear of war
D. pedestrian fatalities
5. On October 3, 1939 the German ship Deutschland took what decisive action that had long-term repercussions?
A. shelled the U S embassy in Stockholm
B. seized a U S freighter
C. rammed a Soviet destroyer
D. docked at Rio de Janiero and took U S embassy personnel hostage
6. On October 6, 1939 what did Hitler offer Britain and France?
B. a war without limits if they did not surrender
C. to combine their forces against the Soviet Union
D. Non-Jewish refugees from Poland
7. In November, 1939 what Scandinavian country did the Soviet Union attack?
8. What occurred in Germany on November 8, 1939?
A. the first assassination attempt on Hitler
B. the first use of Zyklon B gas to kill concentration camp inhabitants
C. the first attack on Berlin by Allied planes
D. the signing of the Germany-Soviet Union non-aggression pact
9. In September and October of 1939, the Soviet Union acquired what nearby countries?
A. Turkey and Albania
B. Iran and Iraq
C. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
D. Mongolia and Nepal
10. The Allies received a much-needed boost when what German ship was scuttled off the coast of South America in December?
D. Graf Spee
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by