for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Dame Nellie Melba - Australia's Soprano
Nellie Melba (Helen Porter Mitchell) was Australia's first international star, thrilling audiences with her magnificent soprano voice. She was the typical operatic diva in all ways!
August 10, 2018
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Helen Porter Mitchell was born in what Australian city in 1861?
2. Nellie Melba was one of how many children?
A. only child
3. After achieving no success in England, Melba travelled to Paris where she met which influential singing teacher?
A. Mathilde Marchesi
B. Maria Montessori
C. Margarita Moldova
D. Maud Melvina
4. Nellie Melba made her European debut in Brussels in October, 1887 in what role?
B. Gilda in Rigoletto
C. Marie from The Daughter of the Regiment
D. La Gioconda
5. In 1890 Melba had a publicised and scandalous affair with a claimant to the throne of what nation?
C. Great Britain
6. Which opera, initially derided, became popular because of Melba's performance and support?
A. La boheme
B. Der Rosenkavalier
7. During World War I Nellie Melba performed a fund-raising tour of which country to raise funds for the war effort?
C. U S A
8. A number of dishes were created by Auguste Escoffier to honour Dame Nellie Melba's achievements. Which of the following was not one of them?
A. Melba Toast
B. Peach Melba
C. Melba Sauce
D. Melba Genoise
9. Nellie Melba died in September, 1931 from septicaemia resulting from what operation?
A. heart surgery
D. kidney stones
10. On what Australian banknote is the image of Dame Nellie Melba?
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by