for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Lou Hoover - Fascinating First Lady
Lou Hoover was not a pale shadow of her President husband, Herbert. While she maintained many of the expected norms of a First Lady she also rewrote others. Test your knowledge of this woman who achieved much throughout her busy life.
May 18, 2020
Presidential First Ladies
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Born on March 29, 1874 Lou Henry led what sort of life before she met Herbert Hoover in 1895?
A. a sheltered life consisting of domestic duties
B. pursuing many outdoor activities
C. helping her mother care for her many siblings
D. acquiring a cultural education consisting mainly of music and art
2. At high school, Lou Hoover wrote an article advocating what social change?
A. an end to segregation
B. imposing a tax on churches
C. prohibition of alcohol
D. universal suffrage
3. What course of study did Lou Hoover undertake at Stanford University?
D. quantum physics
4. Lou Hoover also was expert in what other field?
A. European art
C. U S history
D. religions of the world
5. Marrying Herbert Hoover in February 1899, Lou showed great bravery during what incident while working around the world with her husband?
A. The sinking of the Titanic
B. The San Francisco Earthquake
C. The Russo-Japanese War
D. The Boxer Rebellion
6. During World War I Lou Hoover wrote an article imploring support for which country, which earned her a medal at the end of the war?
7. As First Lady, what group of people did Lou Hoover make a point of inviting to the White House?
A. unmarried mothers
B. pregnant women
C. war widows
D. women in the armed services
8. To which organization was Lou Hoover an important part of its founding and also serving two terms as National President?
A. Volunteers of America
C. Girl Scouts of America
9. Which of the following is not true of Lou Hoover during her time as First Lady?
A. She was the first First Lady to make a radio broadcast.
B. She invited the Afro-American wife of a congressman to tea.
C. She sent many personal loans to penniless people who wrote her during the Depression.
D. She publicly disagreed with her husband's decision to remove the "bonus army" from Washington DC.
10. Which of the following is not true of Lou Hoover?
A. She was the first First Lady to be on the cover of Time magazine.
B. She was awarded eight honorary degrees and had three schools named after her.
C. She designed the first house she and Herbert owned.
D. She outlived her husband exactly by one year.
Conditions of Use