for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Baruch Spinoza - "The Prince of Philosophers"
The work of Baruch Spinoza (later Benedict de Spinoza) has attracted and influenced many great minds with his revolutionary views on man, creation and religion.
December 01, 2020
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: twitter.com)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what century did Baruch Spinoza live?
2. Into what religion was Baruch Spinoza born?
D. His parents were atheists.
3. In what profession was Baruch Spinoza employed?
D. lens maker
4. What was Spinoza's recommendation to readers of the Bible?
A. to use rational thought and reason
B. to regard the Bible as divinely inspired
C. to disregard the Bible as a work of fiction
D. to focus solely on the New Testament
5. Which of the following does not reflect Spinoza's attitude to God?
A. God listens to the greatest to the smallest; to the weakest to the most powerful.
B. Nothing can exist or be conceived without God.
C. God is an entirely impersonal power.
D. There is only one substance in the universe and that is God.
6. Baruch Spinoza's most famous work was published after his death. What is the title of this five book epic?
7. Which of the following quotes is not attributable to Baruch Spinoza?
A. I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them.
B. Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice.
C. I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
D. The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.
8. Which famous person of the 20th century wrote, "I believe in Spinoza's god, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a god who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.”
A. Mahatma Gandhi
B. Albert Einstein
C. Winston Churchill
D. Franklin Roosevelt
9. Which of the following views on women did not belong to Baruch Spinoza?
A. Women should be subject to men.
B. Women are the intellectual inferiors of men.
C. If women were equal, they'd be equal; as they are not, they must be not.
D. Women were not equal to men in terms of strength and virtue, but were equal to men in terms of rational and occupational capacity
10. What was the cause of Spinoza's tragically early death at the age of 44?
A. burnt at the stake
B. lung disease
C. killed by a rioting mob
D. early dementia
Conditions of Use