for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - James Buchanan: 15th U.S. President
What do you know about the 15th President of the U.S., James Buchanan?
May 12, 2009
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Wikipedia)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. From what academic institution did James Buchanan graduate?
A. Washington & Jefferson College
B. Gettysburg College
C. Kutztown University
D. Dickinson College
2. From 1834 to 1845, Buchanan served as a U.S. Senator representing what state?
B. New Jersey
D. New York
3. Under what president did Buchanan serve as Secretary of State from 1845-1849?
A. Millard Fillmore
B. James K. Polk
C. Franklin Pierce
D. Zachary Taylor
4. What Republican candidate did Buchanan defeat in the election of 1856?
A. Stephen A. Douglas
B. Ulysses S. Grant
C. Abraham Lincoln
D. John C. Fremont
5. What was Buchanan's political position on the issue of expanding the number of slave states in the U.S.?
A. he wanted to leave the issue soley up to the Supreme Court
B. he was in favor of slave state expansion
C. he was against slave state expansion
D. he felt that the decision should be left up to the states
6. In 1861, President Buchanan sent a civilian steam boat, "Star of the West," to carry reinforcements and supplies to a military fort under attack by the Confederates. What was the name of the fort?
A. Fort Charlotte
B. Fort Prince George
C. Fort Sumter
D. Fort Motte
7. Three states were admitted to the Union during President Buchanan's administration. Which of the following was NOT one of them?
8. In March 1857, Buchanan received false reports that Governor Brigham Young of the Mormon-dominated Utah Territory was planning a revolt. Buchanan sent the Army to Utah looking to replace Young. The resulting conflict was called:
A. Buchanan's War
B. Young's War
C. Mormon War
D. Utah War
9. Historical rankings of U.S. Presidents have consistently ranked Buchanan near the bottom. What is the primary reason given for his low ranking?
A. his failure to deal with secession
B. his handling of The Panic of 1857
C. his handling of The Dred Scott case
D. his backing of the Lecompton Constitution in Kansas, which would have admitted Kansas as a slave state
10. James Buchanan never married. An orphaned niece whom he had earlier adopted acted as his First Lady. What was her first name?
Pine River Consulting 2022