for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Rutherford B. Hayes: 19th U.S. President
This quiz is about Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th U.S. President.
September 04, 2009
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Rutherford B Hayes
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Rutherford B. Hayes @ Wikipedia)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. What was the highest rank that Rutherford B. Hayes achieved in the U.S. Army?
C. Brigadier General
D. Brevet Major General
2. During the Civil War, Hayes twice promoted a future U.S. president under his military command. Who was it?
A. Benjamin Harrison
B. Grover Cleveland
C. William McKinley
D. Chester A. Arthur
3. During his political career, Hayes was a member of three different political parties. Of which of the following parties was Hayes never a member?
D. Free Soil
4. For what state did Rutherford B. Hayes serve as governor from 1868-1872 and again from 1876-1877?
D. New York
5. Rutherford B. Hayes was elected President by one electoral vote after the highly disputed election of 1876. Who was his opponent?
A. William Allen
B. Winfield Scott Hancock
C. Thomas A. Hendricks
D. Samuel Tilden
6. Via the Compromise of 1877, Hayes was awarded the White House on the understanding that he would remove the federal troops that were propping up Republican state governments in three southern states. Which of the following was NOT one of the states?
A. South Carolina
B. North Carolina
7. During his inauguration speech, President Hayes proposed a one-term limit for the presidency combined with an increase in the term length to how many years?
A. six years
B. eight years
C. ten years
D. twelve years
8. When labor disputes arose in 1877 in several U.S. cities, Hayes called in federal troops fired on the striking workers, killing more than 70. In what industry was the original strike that started the riots?
B. ship building
9. In 1878, Hayes acted as arbitrator following the War of the Triple Alliance. This war was fought as an alliance of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay against what other South American country?
10. Hayes was the first U.S. president to make an attempt at building what?
A. The Brooklyn Bridge
B. The Panama Canal
C. Sault Ste. Marie Canal (Michigan/Canadian border)
D. Lincoln Memorial
Conditions of Use