for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Rene Descartes: Revolutionary French Thinker
The French philosopher whose thoughts have influenced many modern day thinkers.
December 29, 2009
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Rene Descartes was born in which century?
2. Descartes was educated by the Jesuits. Which discipline greatly influenced his thinking?
3. From 1628, in which European nation did Descartes live for 20 years?
4. Descartes instituted a style of deductive thinking which came to be known as?
5. Descartes' most famous quote, "cogito ergo sum" means:
A. Thoughts maketh the man.
B. We are the sum of our thoughts.
C. Thinking provides meaning.
D. I think, therefore I am.
6. Descartes believed our senses limited our perceptions of what was true. To illustrate this point he used a piece of:
7. Descartes believed the soul lived in which part of the body?
B. pituitary gland
C. frontal lobe of the brain
D. pineal gland
8. Descartes sought a new method of scientific inquiry based on what?
A. His knowledge of Socratic thinking
B. The works of William Shakespeare
C. Galilean theory
D. His dreams
9. Which of his books did Descartes decide not to publish following the trial of Galileo by the Catholic Church?
A. Disclosure on Method
B. The World
C. Meditations on First Philosophy
D. Rules for the Direction of the Mind
10. In which country did Descartes die?
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by