for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Deep Submergence Vessel (NR-1)
The Deep Submergence Vessel NR-1 was a unique United States Navy ocean engineering and research submarine.
September 25, 2011
Deep Sea Exploration
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Deep Submergence Vessel @ defencetalk.com)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. What provides power to NR-1?
A. Diesel Electric
B. Nuclear Fusion
C. Nuclear Fission
2. What Space Shuttle mission used the NR-1 to recover critical components?
3. How deep could NR-1 dive?
4. When was NR-1 de-commissioned?
5. In 1995, Dr. Robert Ballard used the NR-1 and its support ship, the MV Carolyn Chouest, to explore the wreck of the ________________, the sister ship of the RMS Titanic, which struck a mine and sank off the coast of Greece while serving as a hospital ship
D. Queen Mary
6. What was the primary limit to the amount of time NR-1 could operate submerged?
C. Battery capacity
D. Diesel fuel bunkerage
7. What Civil War iron clad warship was NR-1 tasked in surveying, in 2002?
A. CSS Hunley
B. CSS Virginia
C. USS Monitor
D. USS Enterprise
8. How did NR-1 normally reach mission locations?
A. On the surface, using high speed diesel engines.
B. Towed by surface tender.
C. Submerged from Groton, CT.
D. C-140 Airplane for Military Air Transport command.
9. What year was NR-1 put into operation?
10. What unique submarine feature allowed NR-1 to explore directly from the seabed?
B. Dive airlock to let divers out.
C. Hydraulic rams with 'feet.'
D. Re-inforced bottom hull and skis.
Pine River Consulting 2022