for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe was an American author, poet, editor and literary critic. He was considered part of the American Romantic Movement.
January 06, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Edgar A Poe
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Edgar Allan Poe @ Wikipedia)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Poe was one of the earliest American practitioners of the short story and is considered the inventor of what genre?
A. romance novel
B. science fiction
D. B & C
2. How was Poe orphaned?
A. His father abandoned the family, his mother died.
B. His mother abandoned the family, his father died.
C. His parents were killed by a murder.
D. His parents died of typhoid fever.
3. Where was Poe born?
A. Anapolis, Maryland
B. Boston, Massachusetts
C. NYC, New York
D. Albany, NY
4. Where does the name Allan come from?
A. From his maternal family's surname.
B. From his paternal grandmother's family surname.
C. From the people that raised him, but did not adopt him.
D. From his adoptive parents.
5. What famous school did Poe attend, but fail to graduate from?
A. The Naval Academy.
B. The Military Academy at West Point.
C. Harvard University.
D. Yale University.
6. In 1835, Poe married; what would be considered unusual about the marriage from a modern perspective?
A. He married his cousin.
B. He married a 13 year old girl.
C. He married a man.
D. A & B
7. Why was Poe thrown out of college?
A. Gross neglect of duty and disobedience.
C. Dissecting a corpse without permission.
D. Fornification - Poe was a clergy major.
8. In August 1835, Poe became assistant editor of the Southern Literary Messenger, in Richmond, VA but was discharged within a few weeks for. Why?
A. having a gay lover.
B. being drunk at work.
C. assaulting his boss.
D. sleeping in his office.
9. Poe's wife Virginia became gravely ill in 1842; what disease did she have?
A. typhoid fever
10. As editor of the Broadway Journal, Poe alienated himself from other writers by publicly accusing what author of plagiarism?
A. David Thoreau
B. Nathaniel Hawthorne
C. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
D. James Fenimore Cooper
Conditions of Use