for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - William Boeing - The Father of Commercial Aviation
A quiz on the man whose name became synonymous with airlines around the world.
January 03, 2014
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. William Boeing was born in 1881 and spent his boyhood years in what US state?
2. To what country was Boeing sent at the age of 8 following the death of his father?
3. Moving to Washington state, William Boeing initally followed in his father's footsteps and tried his hand in what profession?
4. What event pushed Boeing into the business of aircraft design?
A. He received a joy ride on a Wright brothers' plane.
B. His own plane crashed and needed repair.
C. World War I
D. He won a government competition to design the first aircraft for the U S Air Force
5. In 1925 the Boeing Airplane Company received what boost?
A. Boeing bought out the Wright brothers' company
B. Boeing patented his single-wing design.
C. It was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
D. The company won a US government mail contract.
6. What ground-breaking decision did William Boeing make in 1927 that won favor with the US government?
A. To employ non-union labor
B. To use air-cooled rather than water-cooled engines
C. To employ only unionized labor
D. To use water-cooled rather than air-cooled engines
7. What US airline was originally owned by the Boeing Company?
A. American Airlines
B. Continental Airlines
C. United Airlines
D. Delta Airlines
8. During the 1930s William Boeing engaged in a bitter rivalry with which fellow aircraft baron?
A. Donald Douglas of McDonnell Douglas
B. Walter Herschel Beech of Beechcraft Airlines
C. Robert E Gross of the Lockheed Corporation
D. Howard Hughes
9. William Boeing ended his formal involvement with his company in 1934 and pursued other interests. Which of of the following was not one of his passions?
A. horse breeding
B. real estate development
C. collecting fine art
D. animal husbandry
10. In 1954 Boeing's wife, Bertha officially christened what airliner that was the first in a long line of notable aircraft?
A. Boeing Stratoliner
B. Boeing Stratocruiser
C. Boeing 707
D. Boeing Clipper
Pine River Consulting 2022