for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Jonas Salk - He gave the world the weapon to fight polio
Polio was the scourge of the world, killing many and leaving survivors permanently crippled. Take a quiz on the man who ended the terror of polio.
January 20, 2014
Doctors & Medicine
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Jonas Salk public domain photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Where was Jonas Salk born in 1914?
A. New York City, USA
B. Kiev, Russia
C. Budapest, Hungary
D. Ottawa, Canada
2. At medical school for what disease was Jonas Salk asked to study to find a cure?
3. The family of which famous capitalist assisted Jonas Salk by funding his research?
4. In 1947 Jonas Salk began searching for a polio cure at the University of Pittsberg Medical School. How long did it take him to find the cure?
A. 1 year
B. 3 years
C. 5 years
D. 8 years
5. On which of the following did Jonas Salk test his polio vaccine in 1953 before announcing its success?
A. Harry Truman
B. Dwight Eisenhower
C. His wife and sons
D. Prisoners on death row
6. Which of the following did the discovery of a polio vaccine not achieve for Jonas Salk?
A. He received a Presidential Citation.
B. He became a very rich man.
C. He received a Congressional Medal for Distinguished Civilian Service.
D. New York state instituted Jonas Salk scholarships for gifted medical students.
7. In what season was polio most active?
8. Before his death in 1995, Jonas Salk was researching cures for many diseases. Which of the following was not one of them?
C. common cold
9. Which of the following honors was not bestowed on Jonas Salk?
A. Depicted on a U S postage stamp
B. Nobel Prize for Medicine
C. World Polio Day celebrated on his birthday
D. Jonas Salk Day in the United States.
10. Established in 1963, what is the name of the institution in California that continues the work of Jonas Salk?
A. Salk Institute
B. Salk Poliomyelitis Centre
C. The Jonas Salk Foundation
D. Salk Academy
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by