for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Battle of Midway
The Battle of Midway was the defining naval battle of the Pacific campaign of World War II whose result saw Japan in constant retreat. Test your knowledge of this epic conflict.
January 23, 2014
World War II
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what year did the Battle of Midway take place?
2. The island of Midway is situated closest to which of the following?
B. New Guinea
D. Marshall Islands
3. Who was the commander of the Japanese Fleet at the Battle of Midway?
A. Takeo Kurita
B. Raizo Tanaka
C. Isoroku Yamamoto
D. Chuichi Nagumo
4. Who was appointed by Chester Nimitz to be the Pacific Fleet Commander of the United States Fleet at the Battle of Midway?
A. William Halsey
B. Joseph Rochefort
C. Frank Jack Fletcher
D. Raymond Spruance
5. The Battle of Midway was commenced by what action?
A. The U.S. Fleet attacking the island
B. Both forces accidentally intercepting each other
C. The Japanese Imperial Navy attacking the island
D. An attempt by the Japanese Navy to remove stranded soldiers
6. What was the name of the Japanese Navy Flagship sunk at the Battle of Midway?
7. How many Japanese aircraft carriers were sunk at the Battle of Midway?
8. What was the sole U.S. carrier sunk by the Japanese at the Battle of Midway?
9. In spite of the heavy loss of ships, Japanese deaths were relatively light in the Battle of Midway. Approximately how many Japanese were killed?
10. Which of the following is not true of the Battle of Midway?
A. It was the first time rival aircraft carriers had engaged in battle.
B. Code-breaking gave the U S a considerable advantage.
C. Neither fleet engaged with the other except through air attacks.
D. The U.S. Commander was criticized for not pursuing the defeated Japanese.
Conditions of Use