for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Voltaire
He has been credited as one of greatest thinkers France has produced. Test your knowledge of the man known as "Voltaire".
March 23, 2014
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. "Voltaire" was the name taken by the Frenchman whose real last name was what?
2. In what century did Voltaire live most of his life?
3. Voltaire was always willing to test authority and as a result was exiled for three years to what country?
4. Voltaire's novel that debated optimism versus suffering had what title?
5. Which of the following quotes is not from Voltaire?
A. If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
B. It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
C. I disagree with everything you say but will defend to the death your right to say it.
D. It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
6. Later in life, Voltaire became romantically infatuated with which relative?
C. grand daughter
7. Which of the following does not apply to Voltaire?
A. He believed in God.
B. He never married but fathered three illegitimate children
C. He was a Freemason.
D. He disliked religious superstition.
8. Apart from his philosophical works, what genre did Voltaire also experiment with?
B. science fiction
C. fairy tales
D. travel books
9. Of what drug was Voltaire an enthusiastic user?
10. What philosophical stance created the greatest issue for Voltaire?
A. the concept that all people were not created equal by a merciful and just God
B. to understand the nature of human existence and ethics within a cosmos governed by rational principles and impersonal laws.
C. to reconcile free thought and rational thinking with a controlling church
D. whether our soul is a complete entity at birth or evolves throughout our earthly life
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by