for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Montaigne - French Philosopher
Born into an aristocratic family, Montaigne has been called the first of the great French philosophers. His unique style has influenced many thinkers and writers.
November 14, 2017
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what century did Michel de Montaigne live?
2. Montaigne’s father employed tutors and servants who would speak only what language to Montaigne?
3. No stranger to personal tragedy, how many of Montaigne’s six daughters lived to become adults?
4. Montaigne gave his works what title?
5. While enjoying mostly sound health, Montaigne was afflicted with what condition?
A. kidney stones
6. Which of the following does not equate with Montaigne's philosophy when educating children?
A. A child's curiosity is an important teaching tool.
B. Experiential learning was superior to learning found in books.
C. Good teachers encouraged students to follow and develop their interests.
D. A tutor needed to know more than his student.
7. About whom did Montaigne mostly write?
D. The poor
8. One of Montaigne's works was entitled "On Friendship" and was based on which hugely important person in Montaigne's life?
A. Etienne de la Boetie
B. Henry III of France
C. Maree de Gournay
D. Leonardo da Vinci
9. About what did Montaigne say involved the risk of enslavement and the loss of freedom?
10. Which of the following was not a theme of Montaigne's writing?
A. Mankind does not know all that we think we know.
B. We need to see ourselves as we truly are; without contempt or illusion.
C. We must guard against the influences and tyranny of imposed customs and opinions.
D. God is a figment of weak minds.
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by