for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Thanksgiving in America
Eat up this trivia quiz on the facts, legend and history of Thanksgiving Day in America!
November 21, 2008
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Wikimedia Commons)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. The earliest attested Thanksgiving celebration was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida. What Spanish leader, along with 600 other settlers, gave thanks that day?
A. Pedro Menéndez de Avilés
B. Antonio Castaneta
C. Don Juan de Austria
D. Alonso de Guzmán El Bueno
2. Despite scholarly research to the contrary, the traditional "first Thanksgiving" is venerated as having occurred in New England in 1621. In what Massachusetts city did it take place?
3. 18th century colonial Americans commonly observed days of thanksgiving throughout each year. These days were not marked by plentiful food and drink but were set aside for what?
A. outdoor games
B. prayer and fasting
C. canning food for the winter
D. hunting and fishing
4. The first recorded Thanksgiving observance took place on June 29, 1671 by proclamation of the town's governing council. In what town did it take place?
A. Colchester, Vermont
B. Concord, New Hampshire
C. Charlestown, Massachusetts
D. Cambridge, Massachusetts
5. In 1863, what U.S. president proclaimed the first national Thanksgiving Day?
A. James Buchanan
B. Ulysses S. Grant
C. Andrew Johnson
D. Abraham Lincoln
6. In a ceremony known as the National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation, the standing U.S. president is presented with two dressed turkeys and one live turkey. What happens to the live turkey?
A. he's given to a local homeless shelter for butchering and eventually, served for dinner
B. he's granted a pardon and lives out the rest of its days on a peaceful farm
C. he lives in the back yard at the White House
D. he lives in the White House, with all the other turkeys!
7. In "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," which of the following is not one of the "dishes" served at the "backyard feast"?
A. windmill cookies
B. some pretzel sticks
C. a handful of popcorn
D. two slices of buttered toast
8. In the United States, what two professional football teams always serve as hosts for the games played on Thanksgiving Day?
A. Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots
B. Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins
C. New York Giants and New York Jets
D. Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions
9. In the United States, on what day is Thanksgiving recognized?
A. first Thursday of November
B. second Thursday of November
C. third Thursday of November
D. fourth Thursday of November
10. For many Americans, the Friday after Thanksgiving marks the start of the Christmas shopping season. Colloquially, this day has become known as what?
A. Black Friday
B. Shopping Friday
C. Spending Friday
D. Crazy Friday
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by