for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Julius Robert Oppenheimer - Manhattan Project Scientist
Julius Robert Oppenheimer (April 22, 1904 – February 18, 1967) was an American theoretical physicist and professor of physics at the University of California, Berkeley.
December 18, 2011
World War II
Science & Nature
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
J. Robert Oppenheimer
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: J. Robert Oppenheimer public domain photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. The first atomic bomb was detonated on July 16, 1945 in the Trinity test in New Mexico. Oppenheimer remarked later that it brought to mind what words?
A. "As West and East / In all flatt Maps—and I am one—are one, / So death doth touch the Resurrection."(John Donne)
B. "Batter my heart, three person'd God;—."(John Donne)
C. "Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice."(Robert Frost)
D. "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."(Bhagavad Gita)
2. Where did Oppenheimer grow up?
A. Manhattan Island, NYC
B. Berlin, Germany.
C. Islatta, Hungary.
D. Florence, Italy
3. Oppenheiner's mother was an artist. Paintings displayed in his childhood home include all of the below except:
A. Pablo Picasso
B. Édouard Vuillard
C. Leonardo da Vinci
D. Vincent van Gogh
4. Despite having finishing his schooling early, Oppenheimer started late at Harvard. Why?
A. He suffered an attack of colitis.
B. He joined a commune in Palestine, building Jewish settlements.
C. He was kidnapped by bandits in Mexico, and wasn't ransomed for 1 year.
D. He eloped, and ran away from home.
5. During a conversation in which Oppenheimer was explaining his frustration with experimental physics to his friend Francis Ferguson in Paris, Oppenheimer suddenly did what?
A. Shouted Eureka, and drew out a sketch for a nuclear bomb.
B. tried to strangle Francis.
C. Divested himself from his clothing and ran into the snow.
D. Had a siezure and a bout of 'speaking in tongues.'
6. In 1926, Oppenheimer left Cambridge for the University of Göttingen to study under Max Born. Which of the famous physicists below was not in class with Oppenheimer?
A. Albert Einstein
B. Werner Heisenberg
C. Edward Teller
D. Enrico Fermi
7. Oppenheimer had a falling out with his friend and collegue Linus Pauling; what was the cause of the difficulty?
A. Oppenheimer became drunk and enraged over a missed equation.
B. Oppenheimer accused Pauling of being a pacifist and communist.
C. Oppenheimer stopped speaking to Pauling for no apparent reason.
D. Pauling suspected Oppenheimer of becoming too close to his wife, Ava Helen Pauling.
8. What was the name of the ranch Oppenheimer purchased in New Mexico?
A. DFA - Death from Above.
B. Nuetrons ABuzzin'
C. Perro Caliente - Hot Dog.
D. Quiet Rest
9. What happened to Oppenheimer's paramour during the last months of the development of the atomic bombs?
A. She was detained by the FBI for communist spying.
B. She committed suicide.
C. She fled to the USSR.
D. She was killed in a boating accident, where Oppenheimer was found culpable.
10. What did Oppenheimer do after after World War II?
A. retired to New Mexico.
B. retired to Mexico.
C. took a critical position at the Atomic Energy Commission.
D. Divorced his wife and took up painting professionally.
Conditions of Use