for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - The Donner Party: Journey of Doom
A few details about the ill-fated party of pioneers who were the victims of bad timing and advice. Trivia quiz about the Donner Party facts and legend.
September 12, 2012
American Frontier Explorers
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: The Donner Party)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. What is the Donner Party historically remembered for?
A. Being the first group to share Thanksgiving with the First Nations people
B. Hosting the largest New Year's Eve parties in Missouri
C. Being trapped in a mountain pass in winter and resorting to cannibalism to survive
D. Exploring the jungles of South America in search of El Dorado
2. The Donner Party was made up of pioneers, who headed west from Missouri in 1846. What state were they headed for?
A. New Mexico
3. The party consisted of the members and associates of what two large families?
A. The Donners and Blackwells
B. The Donners and Smiths
C. The Reeds and Harveys
D. The Reeds and Donners
4. Though most wagon trains took the Oregon Trail and then the California Trail, The Donner Party opted for which supposed short-cut?
A. The Utah Stretch
B. The Ruby Mountains Path
C. The Green River Straight
D. The Hastings Cutoff
5. In order to meet up again with the California Trail, which great expanse would the party have to traverse?
A. The Great Utah Basin
B. The Great Salt Lake Desert
C. The Nevada Divide
D. The Humboldt River
6. James Reed, one of the founders and leaders of the wagon train was banished after the trek through the desert. Why was this?
A. He assaulted a woman from another family
B. He had insisted the group take the shortcut
C. He stole food supplies fron another wagon
D. He killed a man to stop him from beating an ox
7. Once they reached the Sierra Nevada mountains, the party came to a pass, the last to traverse before the snows began. What was its name?
A. Pioneer Pass
B. Frémont Pass
C. Sutter's Pass
D. Alder Creek Pass
8. Because the pass was already snowed in, the stranded families set up cabins and shelters around which lake?
A. Truckee Lake
B. Cold Stream Lake
C. Alder Lake
D. Sierra Lake
9. After months of heavy snow, a rescue party finally got through the pass and reached the starving party. How many relief attempts did it take?
10. Of the 87 members of the party that were trapped in the pass that winter, how many survived the experience?
Conditions of Use