for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Landmark Supreme Court Cases
This quiz is about important cases decided by the U.S. Supreme Court which have indelibly shaped our history. Test your knowledge of these famous cases and decisions.
April 23, 2013
Crime & Law
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Supreme Court of the United States)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. The Court's 1954 decision in Brown vs. Board of Education ended the "separate but equal doctrine" for whites and blacks announced in what 1896 decision?
A. Roe vs. Wade
B. Dredd Scott v. Sandford
C. Plessy vs. Ferguson
D. Loving vs. Virginia
2. In Mapp vs. Ohio, decided in 1961, the Court held that what rule, applied to the federal courts in Silverthorne Lumber Company vs. United States in 1920, also applied to state prosecutions?
A. The Exclusionary Rule
B. The Miranda Rule
C. The Actual Innocence Rule
D. The Exigent Circumstances Rule
3. In Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent Community School District, decided in 1969, the Court held what activity staged by high school students in protest of the war in Vietnam to be a valid exercise of First Amendment rights to free speech?
C. Wearing of black armbands
D. Burning the American flag
4. In its 1965 decision in Griswold vs. Connecticut, the Supreme Court held that a Connecticut law that prohibited doctors from discussing methods of contraception with their female patients violated
A. the doctors' right to free speech.
B. the patients' right to privacy.
C. the patients' right to free speech.
D. the patients' right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
5. Almost everyone knows that in the Court's 1966 decision in Miranda vs. Arizona, police officers must advise suspects of their rights. When must this advisement usually take place?
A. Immediately upon being arrested.
B. Anytime they are being asked questions.
C. When the suspect is in police custody and prior to any interrogation.
D. While the suspect is being booked.
6. In its 2008 decision in District of Columbia vs. Heller, the Court made what important decision regarding the Second Amendment?
A. That it conferred citizens with an individual right to own firearms.
B. That the government may regulate ownership of certain types of firearms in furtherance of a compelling government interest.
C. That the government may restrict certain people from owni.ng firearms in furtherance of a compelling government interest
D. All of the above.
7. In National Federation of Independent Business vs. Sebelius, the Court declared the Affordable Healthcare Act, also known as Obamacare, to be constitutional on what basis?
A. As an exercise of Congress's power to levy taxes.
B. As an exercise of the president's power to regulate interstate commerce.
C. As an exercise of powers reserved exclusively to the federal government.
D. As an exercise in furtherance of life, liberty, and puruit of happiness as stated in the Declaration of Independence.
8. In its 1967 decision in Loving vs. Virginia, the Court declared a Virginia law that prohibited blacks and whites from doing what was unconstitutional?
B. Sharing public transportation
D. Using the same drinking fountains
9. In what 1803 case did the Court declare that it had the right to declare acts of the President or Congress to be unconstitutional?
A. Marbury vs. Madison
B. Jackson vs. Taney
C. Monroe vs. Marshall
D. Fillmore vs. Marbury
10. In 1963, the Court decided in Gideon vs. Wainwright that the Sixth Amendment requires that a defendant in a criminal case who is unable to afford to hire an attorney must have one appointed to his case under which of the following circumstances?
A. Under all circumstances.
B. Only in cases in which the state intends to seek the death penalty.
C. In any case in which the defendant may be sentenced to a term of imprisonment or to death.
D. Only in cases where the possible penalty is a fine of over $100, imprisonment, or death.
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by