for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - James Whistler - American Artist
A quiz on the man who immortalized his mother with his legendary painting of her.
May 12, 2013
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. What non-artistic training did James Whistler receive in his youth?
A. He was educated at West Point Military Academy
B. He became a cabin boy aboard a Nova Scotia schooner.
C. He was an apprentice clown in a travelling circus.
D. He joined his father at the age of 9 in a Pennsylvania coal mine
2. Although born in America, in which country did James Whistler live much of his life?
3. Renowned for his wit, what was Whistler's response when a woman questioned why he had been born in such a lowly place as Lowell, Massachusetts?
A. My mother wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
B. I wanted to be near my mother.
C. It's not a matter of where I started but where I will finish.
D. Yes, but I had a nice stable stall and manger.
4. Whistler's most famous painting is of his mother but what is its correct title?
A. Mater de Gloria
B. Pensive Study
D. Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1
5. When Whistler sued the art critic, John Ruskin for libel, what damages did he receive?
6. Rather than sign his works with his name, what did Whistler paint in place of a signature?
7. How did Whistler paint his works?
A. Lying down with the canvas positioned above him.
B. On a ladder with the work positioned high on a wall
C. With the work lying flat on the floor
D. Wearing opaque glasses that gave his works a muted effect.
8. Where is the current location of "Whistler's Mother"?
A. Louvre Museum, Paris
B. Musee d'Orsay, Paris
C. Prada Museum, Madrid
D. National Gallery, London
9. Which famous writer was a close friend of Whistler's only to finish as a bitter critic?
A. George Bernard Shaw
B. H. G. Wells
C. Mark Twain
D. Oscar Wilde
10. What book did James Whistler write, to mixed reviews, in response to what he viewed as unfair artistic criticism?
A. Artistic Criticism and Other Vices
B. Any Fool Can Criticize
C. Critical But Never Correct
D. The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
Conditions of Use