for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Bernard Montgomery - El Alamein Supremo
Bernard Montgomery was the supreme commander of the British Army, incorporating myth and military genius in consolidating his place as pivotal in many British victories.
February 20, 2015
World War II
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Born in England, November, 1887 Bernard Montgomery had a varied childhood, part of which was spent on what remote island?
C. New Guinea
2. How did Bernard Montgomery spend his service during World War I?
A. He was active in the War Office
B. He saw active service in France and was seriously wounded
C. He was stationed in New Guinea, seizing this German possession.
D. He served with T. E. Lawrence in Arabia.
3. What family tragedy hit Montgomery during 1937?
A. His son was killed in an army training exercise.
B. His daughter died of meningitis.
C. His wife died of blood poisoning.
D. His wife divorced him and married his best friend.
4. Which of the following was not an important factor in Montgomery's victory over Rommel at El Alamein in October, 1942?
A. Creation of a mobile armed unit
B. Greater liaison and cooperation with the air force
C. A refusal to have a fall-back strategy
D. Increased cooperation with Arab tribal leaders.
5. As a result of Montgomery's victory at El Alamein, which of the following is true?
A. He was promoted to Field Marshall.
B. He was knighted by George VI.
C. He became known as The Desert Fox.
D. He adopted the black beret that became his trademark.
6. With which celebrated U S general did Montgomery have more than a friendly rivalry?
7. Which other important WWII campaign succeeded because of Montgomery's gifted military input?
A. D-Day invasion
B. Battle for Berlin
C. Battle of Stalingrad
D. Battle of the Bulge
8. Which of the following was not an accurate description of Montgomery's military style.
A. A lack of tact and diplomacy
B. Adoption of unorthodox man-management techniques
C. Willingness to plan exhaustively
D. A desire to follow military law and etiquette to the letter
9. Montgomery's memoirs published in 1958 ended a friendship with which notable figure?
A. Winston Churchill
B. Queen Elizabeth II
C. Dwight Eisenhower
D. Harry Truman
10. In his later years, Bernard Montgomery voiced his opinion on a number of world issues. Which of the following was not one of these?
A. His dim view of the U S handling of the Vietnam War
B. His support for South Africa's apartheid
C. Britain's large scale immigration program
D. His stance against legalising homosexuality
Conditions of Use