for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - The Planet Mars
Known as the “red planet”, Mars has been a constant feature in the eyes of those who observe the night sky. Test your knowledge of the planet that supposedly has “little green men” living there.
December 01, 2017
Science & Nature
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. The red appearance of Mars is caused by what?
A. methane in the atmosphere
B. sulfur from volcanoes
C. iron oxide dust
D. the Earth’s atmosphere’s diffraction of the light from Mars
2. In terms of size, how big is Mars when compared to the other planets of the Solar System?
A. second largest
B. second smallest
C. third largest
D. third smallest
3. Why does Mars have over 43,000 craters with a diameter of greater than 5km (3.1 miles)?
A. It is near the Asteroid Belt.
B. It has negligible atmosphere meaning objects do not burn up.
C. There has been no erosion due to no atmosphere.
D. Its cold temperature has preserved them.
4. How many moons does Mars have?
5. What is the name of the highest mountain on Mars?
D. Olympus Mons
6. It was once thought what existed on Mars?
7. What was the name of the U S mission that first landed an unmanned vehicle on Mars?
8. Which astronomer produced the first map of Mars which showed terrain features?
9. What is embedded in huge amounts in the polar regions of Mars?
A. iron ore
C. carbon in the form of coal and diamonds
D. obsidian glass
10. Which of the following is not true about Mars?
A. It has some of the largest volcanoes in the Solar System.
B. It receives approximately 40% of the sunlight the Earth receives.
C. Its seasons are most like Earth’s.
D. It is the closest planet to Earth.
Conditions of Use