for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Plato - Athenian Philosopher
The philosopher Plato has influenced philosophers and societies for almost 2,500 years, probably more so than any other writer. Test your knowledge of this deep thinker whose legacy has been long and lasting.
March 09, 2021
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: www.pambazuka.org)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. What were the circumstances of Plato's birth, sometime between 430 - 420 BC?
A. He was abandoned by his mother and raised in an orphanage.
B. He was born into a rich and influential family.
C. He had a tough early life being born into a farming family.
D. He was born in Morocco as his father was a trader.
2. According to legend, what animal visited the infant Plato in a prophetic display of his future role?
3. In what activity did Plato exhibit skill during his teenage years?
A. political oratory
4. What are the main themes of Plato's best known work The Republic?
A. The necessity of war and international tension to maintain a nation's vigor.
B. The need for all nations to be free from royalty and oligarchy.
C. How courage, justice, virtue and wisdom can be acquired and lead to a fulfilled life.
D. The benevolent influence of Greece on the development of western civilization.
5. Which group of people did Plato regard as inferior?
6. In 388 BC Plato established a school at his home with what name?
A. The Institute
B. The Varsity
C. The Seminary
D. The Academy
7. What did Plato describe as the supreme virtue?
A. knowledge of "the good"
B. to search always for "the idea"
C. to live in a state of naturalness
D. to question everything even when convinced by a conclusion
8. Plato often wrote about love. What was his definition of the highest form of love?
A. it combines passion with comfort and friendship as properties of romantic love
B. attraction of souls, and eventually with the truth.
C. love relationship which the other is imbued with extraordinary virtue, beauty,
D. the degree to which altruism and passion are mutual
9. Which of the famous thinkers was not a student of Plato?
10. Which if the following life quotes was not made by Plato?
A. One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
B. The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
C. The unexamined life is not worth living.
D. If a man neglects education, he walks lame to the end of his life.
Conditions of Use