for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Joseph Smith - Founder of the Mormons
Joseph Smith (1805-1844) crammed much into his eventful but short life, including the founding of a religion.Test your knowledge of the man who had the ability to inspire others.
April 01, 2021
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In 1820 Joseph Smith claimed he was visited by which two figures while praying in a remote Vermont forest?
A. God and Satan
B. Adam and Eve
C. Moses and Abraham
D. God and Jesus
2. In 1823 Smith claimed he was visited by an angel who told him of the location of a sacred book made from golden plates. What was the name of this angel?
3. The book of golden plates was written in a different language which Joseph Smith translated using two stones with what names?
A. Behemoth and Hillel
B. Urim and Thummim
C. Zadkiel and Jubekiel
D. Kalhu and Eleizer
4. Prior to founding the Mormon religion, what did Joseph Smith do to supplement his near-subsistence way of living?
A. treasure hunter
B. fortune teller
C. water diviner
D. grave robber
5. Joseph Smith wrote The Book of Mormon, translating his golden plates. How many other people swore they had also witnessed these fabled plates?
6. Smith's Mormon Church was embraced by some Americans and reviled by many others. What fate befell Smith and one of his associates in Ohio?
A. They were placed in stocks.
B. They were tarred and feathered.
C. They were run out of the town on a rail.
D. They were put on trial for witchcraft.
7. Moving to Missouri in 1838 with his supporters, Smith and his loyal associate, Sidney Rigdon were charged with what crime?
8. Which of the following beliefs was not advocated by Joseph Smith as part of Mormon doctrine?
A. baptism for the dead
B. plural marriage or bigamy
C. the rapture
D. theocratic rule over the whole world
9. Jospeh Smith married Emma Hale in 1827 when he was 21 and she 22. Which of the following is not true of their relationship?
A. She bore Smith nine children, five of whom died before the age of two.
B. Emma never denied her belief in her husband or the Book of Mormon.
C. She denied her husband had taken other wives.
D. She was regarded as the intellectual energy behind the Mormon Church.
10. Joseph Smith died young at the age of 38 on July 27, 1844 of what cause?
A. struck by lightning
B. killed by a mob
D. drowned crossing a river on his way to Utah.
Conditions of Use