for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Henry David Thoreau
A quiz on the American essayist, philosopher and poet whose affiliation with nature enthralled many.
August 10, 2013
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Henry D Thoreau
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Henry David Thoreau)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what Massachusetts town was Thoreau born in 1817 and in which he died in 1862?
2. At what college did Thoreau study?
3. What was the name of Thoreau's most famous book; written after a two-year stint at a lake?
4. In 1846 Thoreau was imprisoned for what crime?
C. Failure to pay poll tax
5. What activity did Thoreau undertake for 24 years?
A. Town librarian
B. Sunday School teacher
C. Kept a journal
D. Sang in the town choir
6. Which controversial 19th century figure did Thoreau publicly support?
A. John Wilkes Booth
B. John Brown
C. Oscar Wilde
D. Brigham Young
7. Thoreau was greatly influenced by the spiritual thinking of what country?
8. What film contained this quote from Thoreau? - "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover I had not lived.
A. Back to the Future
B. On Golden Pond
C. The Color Purple
D. Dead Poets' Society
9. Which of the following quotations was not made by Thoreau?
A. Every man is the builder of a temple called his body.
B. In wildness is the preservation of the world.
C. Men have become tools of their tools.
D. Indolence is a delightful but distressing state; we must be doing something to be happy
10. Dying at the young age of 44, Thoreau was asked if he had made peace with God. What was Thoreau's reply?
A. I look forward to discussing some of His greatest mistakes.
B. I did not know we had ever quarreled.
C. I'm sure the good Lord has bigger fish to fry than me.
D. Made peace! The war is just about to start!
Conditions of Use