for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - H. L. Mencken - Wit, Misanthrope, Social Critic
H. L. Mencken had a unique view of his country, people and the world. Test your knowledge of the man who was never afraid to express his opinion, no matter how unpopular it may have been.
December 29, 2019
Taken by Registered Users:
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. H. L. Mencken was born in 1880 and spent most of his life in what city that gave him the following sobriquet?
A. The Seer of Annapolis
B. The Oracle of Concord
C. The Maestro of Augusta
D. The Sage of Baltimore
2. Which literary work did a nine year old Mencken discover and later declare "the most stupendous event in my life"?
A. Gulliver's Travels
B. The Communist Manifesto
C. Huckleberry Finn
D. Moby Dick
3. Which famous U S court case was reported on by Mencken and gained him national exposure?
A. The Charles Lindbergh Jr kidnapping case
B. The Scopes "Monkey Trial"
C. The Ethel and Julius Rosenberg espionage case
D. The Leopold and Loeb "thrill killing" trial
4. Which of the following did H. L. Mencken describe as "a good thing"?
D. bribery of public officials
5. Of which of the following was H. L. Mencken a devotee?
A. F D R and the New Deal
B. Friedrich Nietzsche
D. Organised religion
6. Which of the following groups did H. L. Mencken believe should be rulers of the people?
A. the elite
7. Which of the following quotes about democracy was made by H. L. Mencken?
A. Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner
B. The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
C. Papers say: “Congress is deadlocked and can’t act.” I think that is the greatest blessing that could befall this country.
D. Democracy - the worship of jackals by jackasses
8. Mencken called marriage "the end of hope". How many times was he married?
9. H.L. Mencken acerbic wit was also applied to love. Which of the following quotes on love is not his?
A. Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop.
B. True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen.
C. Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
D. Adultery is the application of democracy to love.
10. Mencken died in January, 1956, having spent the previous seven years debilitated by what condition?
B. lung cancer
D. amputation of his legs
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by