for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Harriet Beecher Stowe - U S Author and Social Conscience
Her defining work "Uncle Tom's Cabin" has been attributed to changing the way many Americans perceived slavery.
October 02, 2015
American Civil War
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Harriet B Stowe
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Harriet Beecher Stowe public domain image)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Harriet Beecher was born in Connecticut in 1811. Her brother, Henry Ward Beecher won acclaim doing what?
A. as an opera singer
B. as a newspaper reporter
C. as an abolitionist
D. as a religious minister
2. In 1836 Harriet Beecher married Calvin Stowe who did what?
A. religious minister
B. farmed using slaves
3. What inspiration prompted Harriet Stowe to write Uncle Tom's Cabin?
A. Her family sheltered a runaway slave.
B. While praying she had a vision of an aged slave being flogged.
C. She witnessed a slave auction where a slave family was separated with the children torn from their parents.
D. She heard ant-slave campaigner, John Brown speak about the rights of all people
4. Which of the following issues did Uncle Tom's Cabin not cite?
A. Complicity between Northerners and Southerners in slave holding.
B. Racial and sexual exploitation
C. War as the only way to end slavery
D. Layers of caste in both the black and white slave cultures
5. In 1862 Harriet Beecher Stowe met with Abraham Lincoln urging him to do what?
A. emancipate the slaves
B. end the Civil War by seeking peace talks with the South
C. withdraw her son, Frederick from active service in the Union Army
D. all the above
6. Although a northerner, which U S state did Harriet Beecher Stowe often visit?
7. Which acclaimed writer was the neighbour of Harriet Beecher Stowe in her later years?
A. Henry Thoreau
B. Edgar Allan Poe
C. Walt Whitman
D. Mark Twain
8. Apart from her landmark work, Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote over 30 novels. Which of the following was not one of those?
A. Oldtown Folks
C. Tales of Ratiocination
D. Palmetto Leaves
9. Harriet Beecher Stowe bore seven children. Which of the following is not true about her offspring?
A. She lost a young son to cholera.
B. A daughter, Georgina died in her 40s from morphine addiction.
C. A daughter, Constance eloped with her teenage lover
D. A son, Frederick became an alcoholic and disappeared from San Francisco never to be seen again.
10. Harriet Beecher Stowe died aged 85 in 1896 from what cause?
D. heart attack
Pine River Consulting 2022